I have been obese for all my life. It’s unfortunate that I inherited most of the obesity genes from my father’s side. When I was young, my parents didn’t really care much about immunity and forgot the long term effects of overeating. Although I was active in sports back then, it’s still not enough because I still eat more.
Now that I am 20+ years old, I felt that I should’ve loved myself more and thought more of boosting my immunity when I was a kid. I’m not sure if I will be a mother some day but if ever I’ll have my own kids, I’ll make sure that I’ll start nourish them correctly so that they can be saved.
If you have children, don’t let them rely on eating junk foods. I know that junk foods are rampant in the market these days but it doesn’t really help. Most junk foods in the market have high sodium content. Feeding them with more fruits and vegetables is the most basic thing to do. I know a lot of kids do not like eating green vegetables because it looks yucky but you can still do something. Some parents would mix fruits and vegetables in the usual meals of their children so that kids will not recognize the yucky color at once. Also, you can give them fruit juices everyday. There are fruit juices in the market but it would be better if you give them fresh fruit juices straight from the market.
Here are the most important types of foods that can help boost your children’s immunity:
- Vitamin C – This is really easy, mostly these are citrus fruits such as oranges, guavas, strawberries, kiwis, cantaloupes, papayas and many more. All it takes is just 200 milligrams a day, 6 servings of these fruits a day is enough. Vitamin C reduces cardiovascular diseases, breast, colon and prostate cancers.
- Vitamin E – This vitamin is also as important as Vitamin C because this stimulates the production cells that can destroy germs and cancer cells. All you need is 30 to 60 milligrams a day and this can be found in seeds, vegetable oils, and grains. Smokers and people who are too lazy to exercise (like me 🙂 ) should take more than a day’s requirement.
- Carotenoids – This antioxidant helps kill cancer cells as well. Betacarotene is the most popular carotenoid but this should be taken in moderation because betacarotene converts to Vitamin A. Too much of Vitamin A may cause toxicity. What happens is that when there’s too much Vitamin A, the body stops producing it.
- Bioflavenoids – These phytonutrients help the immune system because it protects the cells from external pollutants from the environment.
- Zinc – This will help produce more white blood cells that will protect the body from infection aggressively. But again, like Betacarotene, this should be taken in moderation because too much of Zinc inhibit your immune system. Daily intake of zinc should only be 15-20 milligrams. Sources of zinc are oysters, crabs, turkey, dark meat, beans and beef.
- Garlic – I love garlic. This reduces the build up of free radicals in the bloodstream which is very helpful in declogging the tiny blood vessels.
- Selenium – Selenium can be found in many vegetables. Other foods include brown rice, egg yolks, chicken, garlic, sunflower seeds, cottage cheese and many more. This is also a natural killer of cancer cells.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids – We always hear this in television and the it can be found in salmon, tuna and mackerel.
So, as early as now, you should really be concerned on boosting your children’s immunity because this will avoid them from being sick.
For more information, please visit Immunity Foundation.